Thursday 9 October 2008

8 million pounds in the Ice.


Bristol is one of those local councils that has a few quid tied up in Iceland's recently failed banks.

Personally I think old Gordon has been credit-crunch deft so far this week but to freeze Iceland's assets in the UK was a bit strong and bellicose, I thought. The Icelandic PM who is a reader of this Blog (maybe) seems to me to be a reasonable, quietly spoken man with whom one could negotiate but Gordon has probably riled him now by sticking all his dosh behind the sofa at no 10, and invoking anti terrorist laws to do it! Hardly conducive to useful relations to freeze ALL of Iceland's investments over here as a first step now, is it?

Anyhow, Bristol is in for 8 million pounds which is at the low end of it, I understand. If Bristol had 8 million quid it could stick in the bank to lose in the first place, how come it wasn't just spent on more help for the city's vulnerable folk?

2 comments:

scargosun said...

Wow. And I thought we had problems over here.

Suburbia said...

Well said.

I love the picture of Gordon stashing quids behind his sofa!! Would make a great cartoon, if only I could draw like that.

Did you know it was "BIG DRAW" this weekend?