Sunday 1 March 2009

An old read.


My friend Jack is a good egg and a decent fellow. When we were in the pub yesterday watching Ireland edge England by one point, he handed me a gift. Jack had been to a book fair held not far from here; indeed he invited me along to it at the time but I had a training course that morning.

Jack picked up this book for me. It is a copy of The Book of Common Prayer; nothing terribly rare about it but its interest lies in its antiquity. There is a name scribbled in it and the year 1915. Someone had this on their bookshelf 94 years ago and I like the thought of that. The book is leather bound and smells old and experienced. It's a pleasant thing to own.

7 comments:

Saz said...

I get that totally..I'm a old girl on several levels BS5... love the history of old things, wondering who owned thm before and why and where and how...simple pleasures...

Havent heard from you much recently you ok?

Suburbia said...

It is very special to have someone think of you and then act on that thought.

Suburbia said...

PS. That bowl's looking a bit empty!

Anonymous said...

I adore old books. The feel, the smell, the history of the people that have touched the pages. It's all good!

BS5 Blogger said...

Hi FFF, all well and happy here, thank you. Head down this week for interview prep' for Thursday!

Suburbia: the bowl is rather lean at the moment; I shall see to that.

Alaina- how was Chicago this weekend?

Jennifer P. said...

I love the look of it next to the new remote controls. Two worlds colliding! Very thoughtful of your friend!

Glad to have you stop by my blog. I am obsessed with all things British, so I've loved reading through a page of your posts and just soaking in the subtle differences in the language!

All the best to you!

BS5 Blogger said...

Jennifer - why thank you! x